Wednesday 28 December 2016

Taking the Orange Rhino challenge

It's easier to write about gentle parenting than it is to actually parent that way. 

Yesterday was one of those terrible days when I wondered who allowed someone like me to become a parent. Someone who would shout at a toddler and become frustrated with an infant and wonder why she even had kids in the first place. Especially when my toddler informed me that I was "being scary". That was heartbreaking and we all had a good cry.

I promised both my kids I wouldn't yell. Not like that, not ever again. I don't want to see those looks on their faces. I don't want to have that hoarse throat and that sense of shame while my kids are confused and crying.

Today has been better. But that's not enough is it? Tomorrow needs to be as good as does the next day. So I've decided to hold myself accountable by taking the Orange Rhino challenge for 30 days starting Friday.

The details are HERE (plus there's also a book which I am going to spend the next 2 days reading) but the point is to stop yelling completely for a predetermined period and reset to zero if yelling happens.

I'll post a small update at the end of every week so that you guys know how I'm doing, good or bad. That's the whole point of this you know? By putting it out there, this entire "no yelling" thing will become more real. I'll be accountable not only to myself but to you all. I'll be able to feel you all cheering me on through your computer and cell phone screens. And if I falter, I know that this post and all of you will remind me of my goals again.

Wish me luck! No scratch that. Don't wish me anything. If you do make a wish, do it for my babies. Wish that their mother stays calm and loving even in the worst situations and that she never raises her voice again!

No comments :

Post a Comment

09 10